This website is published by the South East London Meccano Club (hereafter referred to as ‘SELMEC’ or ‘the club’).
All articles, photographs, design, and other website content copyright © 2002–2021 SELMEC, except where noted.
Content available from this website may be printed and/or copied for personal and educational use only. No content available from this website may be reproduced in any way commercially without the prior permission of the club or individual authors.
Website designed, developed and managed by Tim Surtell.
- The club makes no warranties of any kind, expressed or implied for services we provide. We may not back up your data and whilst every attempt would be made in the unlikely event of any corruption or hardware failure, we cannot guarantee to be able to replace lost data. The club disclaims any warranty or merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. This includes loss of data resulting from delays, non-deliveries, wrong delivery, and any and all service interruptions caused by the club and its suppliers.
- The club does not warrant that functions contained in this website will be uninterrupted or error free, that defects will be corrected, or that the website or the server that makes it available are free of viruses or bugs.
- The club and/or individual authors make no representation or warranties of any kind with regard to the completeness or accuracy of the contents of this website and accept no liability of any kind including but not limited to performance, merchantability, fitness for any particular purpose, or any losses or damages of any kind caused or alleged to be caused directly from the content of this website.
SELMEC is a responsible organisation and we will never use your personal details for purposes unrelated to the running of the club or website, nor will we ever disclose them to any third party. We hate spam e-mail just as much as you do!
Below is a full breakdown of the way our website collects and uses your information.
For members and visiting exhibitors
- Your name and details of the models you have built may be listed in our models section without special permission being sought. If you do not wish to be listed in our models section, please contact our Secretary.
- Only your name and e-mail address (if supplied) are recorded in our database.
- You are advised not to enter any personal details (such as telephone numbers and e-mail addresses) into model descriptions or photo/video captions, since these details could be read by visitors to this website and added to spam e-mail lists.
Use of collected data
- Your name will be displayed in the models section to attribute particular models to you. No other personal details will be displayed in public on this website.
- Your personal details will never be disclosed to any third party, nor used for any purpose unrelated to the running of the club or website.
- Visitors to this website may send you messages via this website. These messages are stored in our database and will be forwarded to you by e-mail if you have checked the ‘Forward messages from SELMEC website visitors to me by e-mail’ checkbox in My Account. Your e-mail address will not be revealed to visitors unless you choose to reply to messages via e-mail.
- We may send you e-mails when new articles, events and/or models are added to this website. In addition we may send you event reminders and general club news. To unsubscribe from these e-mails or choose the topics you are interested in, please uncheck the relevant checkboxes in My Account or click on a ‘manage your subscriptions’ link in one of the e-mails we’ve sent you.
- If you use our messaging system to contact a club member or to post a comment on or a question about an article, event or model, you may optionally enter your name and e-mail address. If you do, these personal details will be revealed to the appropriate member (so that they may reply to your message) and our administrators.
Use of collected data
- If you use our messaging system to post a comment on or a question about an article, event or model, and have checked the ‘Allow others to view your comment or question’ checkbox, your name, if you enter it, will appear above your message in the comments section for that article, event or model. Your e-mail address, if you enter it, will not be displayed in public, but will be revealed to the appropriate member (so that they may reply to your message) and our administrators.
- Your personal details will never be disclosed to any third party, nor used for any purpose unrelated to the running of the club or website. Your e-mail address will not be added to any mailing lists.
- If you use our messaging system to contact a club member or to post a comment on or a question about an article, event or model, your message will be moderated by an administrator. The club is under no obligation to forward your message to the appropriate member and if your message is deemed inappropriate it will not be forwarded or displayed on this website.
This website keeps a log of significant actions taken by users, such as the posting of messages, logging into Member Services, and editing records. This log will identify visitors who provide a name or e-mail address, but may only be used by administrators when they are doing a security audit, troubleshooting, or moderating content.
A ‘cookie’ is a small amount of data sent to your computer by a website and stored by your web browser so that the data may be accessed by the same website in the future. Personal information is not normally stored in a cookie, but information about which pages on a website you have visited could be stored. If you become a member of a website, a code uniquely identifying you to the website can be stored in a cookie so that you do not have to log back into the website every time you visit. Web browsers do not, however, allow the data in a cookie sent by one website to be returned to another website, so websites you visit cannot determine which other websites you have been visiting.
This website sets the following cookies:
- ASP. NET_SessionId is created once per session and is used to record your search preferences in the articles and models sections, and to keep you logged in if you use Member Services.
- __utma, __utmb, __utmc, __utmt, and __utmz are persistent cookies used by our third-party analytics solution, Google Analytics. They may identify you to Google, but we only see anonymised website usage data.
By using this website you agree to be legally bound by these terms, which shall take effect immediately on your first use of the website. If you do not agree to be legally bound by all the following terms please do not access and/or use this website.
- You agree to use this website only for lawful purposes, and in a way that does not infringe the rights of, restrict or inhibit anyone else’s use and enjoyment of the website. Prohibited behaviour includes harassing or causing distress or inconvenience to any person, transmitting obscene or offensive content or disrupting the normal flow of dialogue within the website.
- No unlawful or objectionable content may be entered into any text field or uploaded as a photograph, graphic or video; unlawful, harassing, defamatory, abusive, threatening, harmful, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, racially offensive or otherwise objectionable material is not acceptable.
SELMEC e-mail addresses
You may request that your own personal SELMEC e-mail address be set up for your use either as a mailbox or as a forwarder to your current e-mail address. Such e-mail addresses, and any additional paid-for services related to them that you may require, are administered separately by Tim Surtell on behalf of the club. All correspondence and requests for support relating to SELMEC e-mail addresses should be directed to Tim Surtell.
- If we identify a mailbox or forwarder that is causing problems, we will either remove the offending mailboxes/forwarders or change their settings to resolve the issue. In extreme cases, we will disable e-mail or suspend all services as appropriate. Common issues that cause problems are:
- Where a mailbox/forwarder receives large volumes of undeliverable e-mail.
- Where a forwarder is set to send mail to other mailboxes where mail cannot be delivered.
- Where mailboxes have forwarders and/or auto-responders that generate circular mail loops.
- You may not use our e-mail addresses for any of the following:
- To send messages or communications which are unsolicited, offensive, abusive, indecent or obscene.
- To send messages causing annoyance, inconvenience or anxiety to another user of the Internet.
- To send messages for the purpose of fraud and/or with the intention of committing a criminal offence.
- To prevent the sending of bulk unsolicited mail, SMTP traffic to and from our server will be blocked in the following scenarios:
- Where we identify a server that has an open mail relay.
- Where a significant volume of mail is sent in a defined timescale.
- Where we have received significant volumes of complaints concerning unsolicited mail originating from our domain.
- To prevent our IP Addresses being blocked by IP Address blocking, a mailbox or forwarder held on our servers may be disabled:
- Where we have received significant volumes of complaints concerning unsolicited mail originating from or unsolicited e-mail being sent to promote sites being hosted on our server.
You agree to use this website only for lawful purposes, and in a way that does not infringe the rights of, restrict or inhibit anyone else’s use and enjoyment of the website. Prohibited behaviour includes harassing or causing distress or inconvenience to any person, transmitting obscene or offensive content or disrupting the normal flow of dialogue within the website.
If any of these terms are determined to be illegal, invalid or otherwise unenforceable by reason of the laws of any state or country in which these terms are intended to be effective, then to the extent and within the jurisdiction in which that term is illegal, invalid or unenforceable, it shall be severed and deleted from these terms and the remaining terms shall survive, remain in full force and effect and continue to be binding and enforceable.
These terms shall be governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws of England and Wales.